Sunday 21 October 2007

beauty tip

Unlikely as it was, I found myself trying on a dress in a high street chain notorious for selling very large, mostly wooden, costume jewellery to middle-aged women. I’ve never understood the attraction of wearing half a tree around the neck but then I'm not old enough to understand. Another ten years or so and things could be different, I might be eyeing up my wooden coffee table and wondering what it would look like with my favourite top.

So, I'm in this shop, not because of a premature bout of Dame Judi-itis, but on a recommendation from a costume designer who claimed it was a good place for the odd ‘find'. My find was a surprisingly slinky silk dress and I was trying it on when I overheard two women by the jewellery display:

“That looks good, Rita, that does” the first tentative voice pipes up.

“Aye” says the tryer-on in a flat Yorkshire tone. She doesn't sound all that impressed.

“It's very…large, isn’t it? I mean, for a necklace...” ventures the uncertain friend, “Isn’t it heavy? All that wood?”

“It is that, love" sighs the wearer, “but at least it draws attention away, you know, from my face.”

No comments: